Travel insurance – listening to our community
In May 2015 the Cystic Fibrosis Trust launched a travel insurance survey in response to concerns raised by the CF community via our helpline over issues ranging from travel insurance to oxygen on flights.
The results, published in CF Week in June, revealed the shocking extent of premiums and restrictions that are often imposed by the travel insurance industry on those affected by cystic fibrosis. These findings included:
- No cover – 1 in 6 said they were forced to travel without insurance.
- Simply unfair – 7 out of 10 people with cystic fibrosis say they are treated unfairly by insurance companies.
- Hiked up costs – Nearly 1 in 4 people with CF pay £250 or more for travel insurance and nearly 1 in 10 pay over £500.
- It takes time – 1 in 4 said it took at least 4 hours to find appropriate insurance cover.
- What would improve things for people with cystic fibrosis? 9 out 10 respondents want travel insurance to be more affordable and 8 out of 10 want more comprehensive insurance cover.
See the survey results (PDF 78KB).
Making travel fair
As a result of these findings we are campaigning to make travel fair and end the discrimination for those with cystic fibrosis and their families.
We are calling for:
- The travel insurance industry to provide cost effective travel insurance based on an individual’s health rather than their condition.
- Charter airlines to provide oxygen on board for those with cystic fibrosis (and others needing to use it) free of charge.
Since our travel campaign launched we have continued to meet with a small number of specialist travel insurance companies to discuss CF, the various treatments and care and important factors such as the difference between prophylactic and acute care.
The meetings have been key to helping provide better access to travel insurance for those with CF and also to help bring down costs. In fact, we understand from one insurer that as a direct result of our meetings and the additional information provided, the majority of those with CF have witnessed a notable cost reduction.
We continue to engage with any insurance providers and welcome any companies who wish to work with us to help improve access to all insurance cover for those with cystic fibrosis. In autumn 2017 we are due to meet with a life insurance company to advise on cystic fibrosis. We will provide a further update on the outcome of this meeting.
In the meantime, the Trust’s helpline will continue to revise our list of travel insurers, which provides the most up-to-date insurers for travel. This list, which can be accessed on request via the helpline, includes companies we have worked with previously, but also lists recommendations from the CF community for insurers who have had a provided CF cover for a reasonable quote and with whom they have had a positive experience.
Contact the helpline
Please check back for further updates on our travel fair campaign.
For further travel advice and information including details of our travel grants please contact the Trust’s helpline.